Allendale Columbia, a diverse, co-educational, college prep independent school serving over 420 students in grades nursery through twelve, seeks a dynamic, collaborative, nimble, and goal-oriented Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to oversee all aspects of the school’s financial operations. The candidate for this position must have equal parts strategic capacity and operational acumen and should be effective at collaborating and executing with teams throughout the organization.
The CFO plays a vital role in the Allendale Columbia School community. Reporting to the Head of School, he or she will participate in strategic planning and high-level decision making with the Head of School and Board Committees. The ideal candidate’s experience should include a solid grounding in fundamental finance and accounting systems and procedures; expertise in forecasting and financial modeling; significant depth of experience in financial analysis and reporting; and the ability to work effectively with trustees, faculty, staff, and external constituents.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with the Head of School to develop annual school budget, presents proposed budget to the Board, and actively manages expenses to the budget throughout the year.
- Prepares quarterly dynamic updates to the Strategic Financial Model to provide a basis for budgets consistent with the school’s Strategic Plan.
- Establishes appropriate financial controls and procedures to manage the resources of the school consistent with the budget.
- Manages human resources including payroll/benefit programs and updates Employee Handbook to reflect current and best practices in HR.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with financial institutions and vendors related to accounts payable and accounts receivable including tuition payments and development gift accounting.
- Manages the school’s financial aid by processing applications and recommending awards to the Financial Aid Committee.
- Manages the school’s insurance and oversees risk management.
- Serves as the primary contact with auditors, oversees the Accounting Specialist, and prepares statements for annual audits.
- Serves as the staff person for the Board Finance Committee, Board Audit Committee, and Board Investment Committee. Actively participates in meetings held by the Board Buildings and Grounds Committee, the Financial Aid Committee, and the AC Leadership Team.
- Actively participates in independent school association events and provides peer school data to the Head of School and Board committees on an annual basis.
This is an excellent time to join a dynamic school community as we launch Allendale Columbia School to the forefront of the educational landscape regionally and globally. Current parents, past parents, AC alumni, and the members of the Board of Trustees recognize and appreciate the palpable momentum on campus and they are very pleased with the early success of the leadership phase of the Impact Initiative Campaign.
Job Requirements Include:
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a master's degree in business, entrepreneurship, business development, finance, or a related field. In addition, the ideal candidate must demonstrate the ability to manage personnel with diverse backgrounds and execute all duties with demonstrated sensitivity, and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, and ethnic backgrounds of the AC community.
Please email resume and letter of interest to the Executive Assistant to the Head of School, Lynne Toomey, at email@example.com. Write your full name and “Chief Financial Officer” in the subject line. Please do not send a fax or a paper copy.
Now well into its second century, Allendale Columbia is a leading independent co-ed college prep school for students in nursery through grade 12. Here, learning goes far beyond books and tests. We have the freedom to dig deeper so students can question more, discuss, debate, and question again. As a result, our students develop critical thinking skills and become effective problem solvers. Our faculty members use their independence and experience to connect knowledge to real life so our students can make more sense of the world–and their place in it. It all adds up to a different school of thought: high expectations and relevant experiences that prepare students to succeed in a global community. For more information, visit www.allendalecolumbia.org.
Allendale Columbia School, as an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in its hiring of employees on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital or veteran status, age or disability. We actively seek diversity among faculty and administration as well as among students.