Welton is an innovative Silicon Valley-founded alternative investment manager with offices in Carmel, CA and New York City, NY. With a current staff of 30, Welton manages $700 Million on behalf of institutions, private banks, and private investors around the world. Welton's core competency is its investment research, which is focused exclusively on identifying and developing non-correlated investment strategies to measurably enhance and diversify the performance of our clients' broader portfolios. For more information, visit www.welton.com.
Welton manages 3 portfolios: the Global Directional Portfolio (GDP) which employs a proprietary set of quantitative global macro strategies. The Welton Global Trend Following (GTF) Portfolio is a diversified trend-following portfolio targeting a higher correlation to the broader Managed Futures industry. The Welton Quantitative Equity Portfolio (QEP) is an absolute return oriented portfolio employing a systematic approach to global equity markets.
The Global Trading Operations team adds value to the organization by meticulously overseeing trading execution, portfolio implementation, compliance and risk limits; and working closely with the Software Engineering and Portfolio Management teams to advance the overall Welton Trading Architecture. Schedule will require non-traditional hours including very early mornings as well as an overnight shift. The candidate is expected to be extremely dependable and operate with the highest level of integrity and diligence.
The Trading Analyst position will have four main responsibilities: First and most importantly to monitor Welton portfolio positioning, working trades, real time performance, and market developments. Traders are responsible for execution of systematic investment strategies and are prohibited from engaging in discretionary positions. The focus is on optimal execution of systematic orders. Oversight of the execution process requires attention to detail using Bloomberg for pre-trade analysis and excel/SQL for post trade analysis of fills and market impact. Second responsibility is to support daily operational processes by interfacing with brokers on trade and position reconciliations, short locates, and reporting. Acute attention to detail and high quality communication skills are required, along with relationship building and responsiveness to internal and external requests. Third responsibility is to operate Welton's Alpha Platform which encompasses the suite of proprietary systematic investment models that Welton manages. Operation of the Alpha Platform involves verifying the quality of data inputs throughout the life cycle of order generation. Frequent engagement with the firm's software engineering team is expected during daily portfolio operations. Lastly the candidate will be actively engaged in macro analysis and be a source of knowledge about market developments for the firm.
Motivation to live in the Monterey Bay area is highly valued.
- Operating a 24 hour systematic desk trading global futures, foreign exchange and international equities within a quantitative portfolio management framework.
- Operating the proprietary Alpha Platform with an emphasis on data quality.
- Resolving operational related issues with counterparties and fund administrators such as trade and position discrepancies, short locates, trade files and reporting.
- Use market knowledge and understanding of Welton technology infrastructure to act as the operational glue between Research and Allocation Science, Middle Office, and Software Engineering
- Working with the Software Engineering Group to prioritize initiatives that promote best execution practices and trade efficiency
- Continual engagement with current global macro developments and their effects on Welton portfolios
- Further responsibilities may be driven individual's interests & skills.
· Bachelors or Master's degree in a field with quantitative curriculum (e.g. Economics, Finance, Statistics etc.)
· Ability to maintain composure and communicate clearly under pressure.
· Strong work ethic, integrity and flexibility for non-traditional business hours
· Work related experience or academic exposure to the fundamentals of futures and foreign exchange markets
· Foundational data analysis skills using statistical and database languages (Excel, SQL, MATLAB, R, Python).
· Familiarity with Software development concepts and exposure to one or more programming language
· Work related experience or academic exposure to portfolio risk metrics such as Var, Margin, etc.
· Foundational understanding of necessary inputs/outputs/assumptions used in backtesting systematic trading strategies.
· Ability to think creatively about challenging analytic problems within the context of the general business goals.
· Track record of commitment to excellence in a chosen field such as athletics or extra-curricular activities
· Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Work authorization sponsorship is not available for this position.