Heads investment risk management and related analytics efforts across all multi-manager portfolio segments. Enhances and applies structured frameworks for incorporating quantitative analytics and qualitative judgments via systematic processes to assess investment risks and inform investment decisions. Focuses on market risk and return attribution (absolute and relative to policy), liquidity risk, counterparty risk, and external-manager-specific risk.
Partnering with Managing Director, Asset Allocation, completes Emory's adoption of a risk budgeting framework for strategic and tactical allocation decisions—emphasizing a holistic, multi-asset class, forward-looking perspective, and distinctions between alpha and beta. Improves, streamlines and consolidates Emory's risk and portfolio analytics infrastructure and customized reporting. Develops data management framework to enable robust validation and analytics across multiple dimensions. Employs portfolio risk and return attribution software to support estimation of analytics including absolute and relative VaR-based metrics; factor-based risk attribution, sensitivities, betas, and predictive stress tests; historical stress scenario tests; and reallocation "what-if" analytics. Monitors marketplace for software/service providers in risk analytics, data management/aggregation, and hedge fund transparency enhancement space.
Communicates complex investment-risk-related concepts to varied audiences—colleagues on investment team, CIO, Board members, and other University stakeholders. Representative topics include derivatives, leverage, and benchmarking.
Researches and analyzes hedging and overlay strategies. Contributes to Public Markets team and Private Markets team manager-specific initial and ongoing due diligence research on an as needed basis—most significantly for systematic, quantitative, or derivatives-oriented strategies. The greater focus of this position is on top-down insights to complement the bottoms-up manager-specific research that is a primary focus for the Public Markets and Private Markets teams.
Manages Graduate Investments Interns and performs other related responsibilities as required.
- A bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, economics, or another analytical/quantitative discipline such as mathematics, statistics, and engineering or sciences
- Willingness to take responsibility for strategic initiatives and the ability to think analytically
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to be credible when presenting to the Investment Committee and other significant internal and external constituencies
- Seven years of investment risk management or related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- CFA and/or master's degree in business administration, finance, or a related field with particular strengths and interests in information sciences and/or decision science
- Professional Risk Manager certification (PRM or FRM)
- Experience with a comparable endowment, foundation, or institutional investor
- Working knowledge of BarraOne, FactSet, Bloomberg