TITLE: Research Analyst – Pacific Tiger
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC ("Matthews Asia")
Founded by G. Paul Matthews in 1991, Matthews Asia believes in the long-term growth of Asia, concentrating our investment efforts and expertise exclusively within the region. As an independent, privately owned firm, Matthews is the largest dedicated Asia-only investment specialist in the United States. With offices in San Francisco, Hong Kong and London, our investment solutions are available to investors around the world.
Additional information on Matthews Asia and the Matthews Asia Funds can be found at matthewsasia.com.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This position will report to a lead Portfolio Manager of one of the company's investment strategies
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking an individual to join the Matthews' teams to perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers.
Specially, this individual will be responsible for conducting both qualitative and quantitative analyses, focusing on industrial analysis, business models, products and services, management quality and competitive advantages for Asia Pacific companies.
This position will be based out of Matthews' headquarters in San Francisco.
This role will be responsible for supporting and coordinating investment decisions for a series of SEC-registered mutual funds that specialize in international markets. The duties are as follows:
- Primary responsibility for this analyst will be to develop a thorough understanding of target businesses, i.e., the financial health, business model, funding cost, and the sustainability of long-run fundamentals
- Research and analysis of individual companies, as well as sector, regional and economic factors affecting issuers based in, or with significant exposure to Asia Pacific
- Stock selection
- Work within a team to conduct research and generate ideas for better returns of the portfolio; develop investment strategy
- Monitor the latest news/developments on the underlining stocks in the portfolio and evaluate the impacts on the stocks using qualitative and quantitative method. Also monitor macroeconomic news
- Meet with company managements on a frequent basis through on-site company visits, conference calls and meetings in our own office
- Communicate with existing/potential investors/advisers on the fund's investment philosophy and methodology
- Collaborate with lead or co-portfolio manager
This position requires:
- At least 3-5 years of work experience preferably in the investment management industry
- Bachelors degree is required, Masters degree and/or CFA preferred
- High level of integrity and strong work ethic with particular attention to detail
- Keen interest in investing and a demonstrable conviction in Asia-oriented investment
- Strong background in Healthcare & ASEAN.
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Strong understanding of financial statements
- Team player
- Communication skills - Ability to articulate clearly an investment case in writing and speech
- Willingness to travel to Asia is required
- Asian language ability, strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of tools such as Bloomberg, FactSet and strong excel skills