| Overview: |
The objective of the Strategic Planning Office (SPO) is to facilitate the setting of the Bank's medium-term strategic priorities and align the multi-year and annual resource planning, budget and performance measurement processes to those priorities. The SPO works closely with the Management Committee, related subcommittees, and other stakeholders to articulate the Bank's strategic priorities and objectives, align the Bank's overall resource allocation in support of those priorities, and to develop, monitor and evaluate performance measures that enable the Bank to assess progress against towards meeting those objectives
The SPO consists of three teams, the Strategic Planning & Evaluation (SPE) team is responsible for delivering an integrated approach to developing and updating the Bank's strategic plan based on business and environmental considerations, administering a framework to establish the Bank's strategic objectives supported by aligned and cascaded Group objectives, and delivering performance analyses on how well the Bank is progressing toward the achievement of its annual plans and its multi-year strategic objectives. The Financial Planning & Analysis (FPA) team manages and coordinates the Bank's resource planning processes, which include the annual budget and monthly forecasts, ensuring resources are aligned with Bank objectives. The Implementation Support (IS) team provides internal consulting and project management services in support of Bank objectives.
The Strategic Planning Associate will play a key role advancing the Bank's planning cycle by supporting core planning, monitoring and analytics responsibilities largely performed across the SPE and FPA teams in the SPO. The Associate will be expected to build a working knowledge of business area functions, their strategic priorities and objectives, key operations and required resources aligned to this work, and challenges that may jeopardize the achievement of successful outcomes. Specifically, the Associate will provide analytical and organizational support for various planning, resourcing and evaluation processes; author clear and concise presentations and other communications to engage stakeholders and align expectations in support of decision-making; and build and maintain relationships and effective communication and coordination with teams in the SPO, the Group, and across the Bank.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Support the development and maintenance of frameworks, tools and templates to facilitate objective-setting, strategic planning and evaluation processes (e.g. Environmental Scan, Portfolio Inventories, Prioritization Models, Strategy Program Dashboard).
- Collect, analyze and synthesize data about the Bank, the System, and the external environment to support and inform the setting of the Bank's annual and multi-year strategic objectives.
- Author clear, concise, executive level analytics and reports that support decision making by the PRE Sub-committee and other sub-committees (PSSC, OSSC, etc.) across the Bank.
- Support the development and monitoring of the Bank's annual expense and capital budget and multi-year resource plan. Analyze budget and forecast resource drivers and draft sections of the Bank's annual budget document. Recommend actions or expenditures to ensure the resource plan properly aligns with Bank priorities and objectives.
- Collect and synthesize information on existing and proposed initiatives across various dimensions, e.g. strategic fit, impact, effort, readiness, to build and maintain the Bank's strategic initiative portfolio and provide periodic updates to relevant Subcommittees. Undertake supporting analysis and craft recommendations to inform prioritization and resourcing decisions over the multi-year planning horizon. Identify and assess risks to the portfolio and escalate as necessary.
- Support the execution of the quarterly strategic initiative portfolio monitoring process and development of related tools, e.g. strategy program dashboard, to evaluate and report on progress made toward achieving the Bank's medium-term strategic objectives.
- Maintain management reporting dashboards and provide periodic updates to management on the health of the Bank's strategic portfolio and the resources required in support of that work. Escalate threats to successful outcomes appropriately.
- Support team members to develop and maintain project and resource plans for key deliverables, e.g. Environment Scan, Bank Objectives, Bank Evaluation.
- Support the identification and implementation of operational improvements to enhance department performance, manage risk, and benchmark to industry best practices.
- Provide analytical, coordination and other support as needed for any new deliverables that may be identified through the planning, resourcing and evaluation cycle.
- Undergraduate degree in finance, economics, engineering, operations management, public policy or similar or related fields is preferred; Master's degree in business administration, public policy or public administration is advantageous but not required. Seven years of work experience, including 5 years of relevant experience, e.g. experience in a strategy, business planning and analysis or financial planning and analysis role.
- Strong analytical skills and problem solving skills, with demonstrated ability to quickly gather, analyze and synthesize information from different source systems and documents, arrive at sound conclusions and create high-quality deliverables.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with ability to express ideas clearly and succinctly, tailor messages to different audiences and educate colleagues across the Bank and System about the intended outcomes of the planning, resourcing and evaluation lifecycle.
- Strong collaboration skills and customer-service orientation; demonstrated experience delivering successful outcomes on projects involving multiple stakeholders with differing / diverging interests highly desired.
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills, with ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Good understanding of project/program management and cost accounting, budgeting, forecasting, and financial control policies and procedures, or demonstrable capacity and interest to learn.
- High energy, detail-oriented, and capable self-starter with the ability to explore innovative ways to perform tasks in an efficient and timely manner as an individual and in a team environment.
- Excellent Microsoft Office Suite skills, including Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills required; familiarity with SharePoint highly desired.
In addition to fulfilling the above qualifications, the successful candidate will possess the following competencies:
- Initiative and foresight to anticipate the evolving needs of the SPO and the Bank, particularly with respect to the planning, resourcing and evaluation lifecycle.
- Translation skills, or the ability to take raw data and information and use it to enrich a topic, prove/disprove a hypothesis or otherwise articulate a narrative about a given matter or issue confronting the bank
- Fungibility of skills, such that the candidate is willing and able to contribute to various forms of work e.g., a working knowledge of project management to structure ad hoc, medium-term projects that span the function.
The Federal Bank of New York is committed to a diverse workforce and to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service.