The Controller will oversee the daily operations of the Business Office and be responsible for the management, preparation and integrity of the School’s financial records and reporting. The Controller will work closely with the CFO, Division Heads, and Department Heads in developing and maintaining the operating and capital budgets and related reports.
Horace Mann School is a coeducational, college preparatory independent day school for students from Nursery through grade 12. The School seeks to stretch the imagination, intellect and insight of its students while developing the moral characteristics that impart identity and purpose. We recognize as our core values: the Life of the Mind, Mature Behavior, Mutual Respect, a Secure and Healthful Environment, and a Balance between Individual Achievement and a Caring Community. These core values guide our decision-making and govern the implementation of our curriculum and programs across all divisions of Horace Mann School. In addition to its campuses in Manhattan and the Bronx, NY, the School also owns and maintains the John Dorr Nature Laboratory, a comprehensive outdoor education facility on 304 largely wooded acres in Washington, CT. One of the nation’s 10 largest independent day schools, as of September, 2016, the School enrolls 1,790 students representing 155 zip codes, with 40% self-identified students of color. For 2016-17, 16% of the students receive need-based Financial Aid. Twenty-two percent of School administrators, teachers and staff members identify as people of color. Over the past five years, the School has recorded a 97% annual retention rate for students and a 92% retention rate for all employees. The school’s current $100 million bricks and mortar campaign will provide the Middle and Upper Divisions with either newly constructed or renovated, state of the art science facilities by the beginning of the Fall of 2018.
Reporting directly to the CFO, the ideal candidate will be an analytical, detail-oriented yet flexible professional with strong problem solving skills. Must also have exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills and display a collaborative, team-oriented work style.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directly responsible for maintaining all aspects of the General Ledger
- Supervise Business Office functions and staff including bookkeeping, accounts receivable/student billing, accounts payable, copy shop, & mail room.
- Review bank and investment account reconciliations
- Prepare monthly cash flow statements, actual and prospective
- Reconcile contributions and pledges with the Development Office
- Review detailed restricted fund accounts and supporting files
- Prepare quarterly investment income allocations and annual spending calculations
- Maintain detailed fixed assets records and related depreciation calculations
- Coordinate with Parents Association accounting/reporting
- Prepare financial statements in accordance with GAAP and FASB rules
- Coordinate the annual audits (School and 403(b) plan), preparing and reviewing schedules as necessary for auditors and actuaries
- Prepare annual Forms 990, 5500 and ensure tax compliance
- Act as liaison with third party providers, i.e. banks, auditors, investment consultants, actuaries, etc.
- Create, update and disseminate accounting policies and procedures
- Additional duties as assigned by the CFO.